Sunday, January 13, 2008

a little spoiled and a little lazy

very rarely am i honest enough with myself that i would admit either of these things, but this morning, over coffee, i had a frank and honest discussion with none other than myself. and before you try and have me taking the same little magic pills that you are, just know it was a healthy chat. self was feeling very blunt and self was willing to accept a few truths (they were conveyed mostly in love).

i was thinking of what i love most about korea and while i would love to say that it has been the invaluable cultural experience that only comes from living in a foreign country, that it has been an enlightening experience that i just cannot imagine having lived my life without, that im considering pursuing a life led in service to the less fortunate as a result and that i plan on donating all that i own to worthy causes like greenpeace and the celebrity chihuahua rescue foundation, that wouldnt exactly be true. now, this has been a fantastic opportunity, one that i am thankful for, one that has taught me more than simply holding my breath for long periods of time to avoid smells and to exercise great self control when seeing stray animals (they really do not need me to bring them home), it has also grown my appreciation for all things asian.

i love the korean people and their love of my offspring. i love the food, the shopping, the near death experiences i live through every time i get in a car, the novelty of marking all directions with milestones instead of streets. i love the apartment living that reminds me so much of college with the upgrade of better furniture, better drinks and no classes to sleep through. and the people, well, just dont get me started, because i have certainly met some quality people here.

so, i was thinking of all the things i love about my korean lifestyle (which is really led mostly like an american, but still...) and i began to think of what i will miss most. while there are several things vying for number 2 on the list...living arrangement, friends, purses, travel, etc, there is only one thing worthy of the number 1 position. her name is ms. hong and i love her. and while she has made me feel a little spoiled and a little lazy, she also makes me feel rested and available on the weekends for that treasured family time. she is referred to as an "ojima" and although i hired a housekeeper in rapid city (many of you remember crazy sharon stories) to help out and while she was a good helper, she was no ms. hong.

i havent done laundry in over 2 months. im not kidding. i havent ironed since i moved here and i cant for the life of me find a place to leave my initials in the dust. shes kind, she works hard and georgia loves her. there is a small part of me, who after hearing stories of families that moved their ogimas back to the states with them, wants to find a house with a separate living area for sweet ms. hong (itd have to be very separate with not even shared ventilation because that kimchee smell is the kind you want to leave at the restaruant, not scent your home with.)

so while i may be a little spoiled and a little lazy, with ms. hongs help, i am also happier, more relaxed and thankful that my time in korea is going so swimmingly. and i will miss her. a lot. and after chatting with myself, its not all for self serving reasons either (i swear). i love the korean she speaks to georgia, i look forward to her arrival at our home and i will miss her kindness that she shows me in broken english and sweet eyes. my time here will be marked with many things, but the highlight may just be my time spent with ms. hong....and my red jimmy choo.

6 comments:

Megan said...

That's awesome that you have such great help from some one you love! Georgia looks so grown up. And cute. The big 2 will be here before you know it!

katie said...

i know...i keep trying to figure out where the last 2 years went. btw, you look great in your minneapolis pics!!

Jenna Stitzel said...

Very sweet and true...I loved our Ajuma as well...I gave her up to a friend who needed her more than me but we see her still regularly at my friends house and the "pointy talky" and hugs are the best times!

Anonymous said...

Ditto. on loving ms. hong. on the sweet eyes. on the loving words in korean. on the purses. and on the rancid smell of kim chee. eek. however, I would have to comment on the fact that I, at times, feel the same intense discomfort as someone getting felt up during a massage that I do with the lovable ms. hong sifting through my dirt and grime, tossling my panty drawer and scrubbing off the mysterious "gunk" left by two kids under 2 that has found itself all over everything... so much in fact, that I find myself "pre-cleaning" so that she doesn't have to try and find a word in hang gul which is the equivalent to "icky" when describing my lifestyle to her friends in the "Ojimafia". (term coined by moorekt). anyway, without a doubt, the best way to spend 40,000 won that isn't "best quality leather" in korea!!
tava

Suzy Z said...

KATIE, I finally caught up on your blog. I know your Korean friends will most strongly disagree, but I can't wait until you're here! I miss you guys so much. GK is the cutest thing every! Mrs. Hong is an angel. We all need each other. That's what I always say. I love the look on her face looking at the rice. and whatever that is on the floor. I know she likes it but hmmmm? Love you,
suzy

Rayna Mercer said...

I loved our housekeeper in Panama.....she would scrub and wash with bleach a pair of formerly white Keds that I was planning to thrown out--she made them brand new again...it's amazing what they can do!

Rayna