Friday, January 19, 2007

D is for Don't Drink

this incident happened awhile ago, but it crossed my mind again this morning and i felt like sharing. have you ever thought you were really sick? i mean, like maybe something serious was going on with your health and you didnt want to acknowledge it because somehow it would give the thought some power and maybe make it more of a reality? so i was dealing that a few months back over the course of three weeks. i just felt terrible and i didnt want to talk about it and give it (meaning whatever illness i was most certainly facing) a voice. so, for weeks i endured strange symptoms like headaches and fatigue. the problem was that it wasnt consistent. some days i felt great, other days i thought i had mono (which i had once in college and was told you couldnt get twice). this went on for awhile when i finally couldnt keep it to myself any longer. about the 9th time i polished off a pot of coffee and then took a 2 hour nap when georgia went down, i decided it was time to share and request a little advice and prayer. afterall, what affliction could possibly cause this constant desire to sleep, headaches and all this after the coffee. i revealed my concern over my imminent decline in health to a friend and moved on. the following morning, i started my pot of coffee and began to place the hazelnut cream coffee back in its place in the freezer when i noticed a big green circle with a D in the middle. what in the explitive is that i wondered. i looked closely at the fine print and to my horror read decaffeinated. how in the WORLD did that get in my freezer and even more importantly how long have i been subjecting myself to this junk?? i immediately called my kind loving husband who had been alternating (inadvertently he claims) between the decaf and the regular for three weeks...just often enough to keep me in a constant state of withdrawal and in search of what illness might be slowly killing me. i suggested next time he forgo the torture of caffeine withdrawal and simply opt for rat poisoning instead. ah yes. the great news is im fine. the decaf has been safely put in the back of the freezer for entertaining purposes only and we are all back on the caffeine wagon, happy and healthy as ever.

2 comments:

Jim and Tricia Friddell said...

You have got to be kidding me! I am rolling with laughter! You had me completely concerned for your rapidly declining health, ready to call you at 5:00am Eastern time. What in the world...Patrick, kudos to you for making your wife crazy (...uh crazier than she was last week!). Hugs to everyone - especially my little Georgia who is a whole year and one day old!!
Smooochies,
Aunt Trishy

katie said...

hey trishy,
glad to see you're keepin up! cant wait to meet little noel...how many more appts this week?? love, kt