Tuesday, February 02, 2010

resolutions

i know you thought early february would be entirely too late to post a few new years resolutions. clearly you dont know me and how notoriously late i roll. so here goes in absolutely no particular order my list (less some of you type A crazies try and crack the code...there simply is none).

1. i will have my list done no later than february 3rd. already im exceeding expectations for myself.

2. i will continue busting my arse at the gym even if only for 10 more pounds. they are afterall, the most resilient 10 pounds in all the land, resisting mile after mile of calorie burning, exhaustion inducing treadmill time. they are my nemesis and i will run them off this year. or i lll give up entirely and toast my defeat with a pint of ben and jerrys. either way, im all in for at least a little while longer.

3. taking my cue from the movie julie & julia, i will no longer have friends i dont like. admit it, if you are a woman, you have friends you dont like. its crazy and im confident one of the reasons women still dont get equal pay...men dont have friends they dont like. we have got to correct this insanity. im starting now.

4. i will stop eating chips and salsa for lunch everyday. mostly because i can no longer justify to gk why she MUST finish her nitrate free sandwich, organic milk, organic fruit and last nights leftover veggies before she can have (drumroll) yogurt covered raisins. all of this with a mouthful of some vegetable oil fried tortilla chips and salsa. the hypocrisy has been brought to my attention by one fairly insightful 4 year old and i am fresh out of a legit comeback. they may also have formed an alliance with my 10 pounds. this is one happy union im going to attempt to break up.

5. if there are type As and type Bs, ive decided im a type Z. im finally okay with that. i have come to terms with how im wired up and i will no longer resist my type Z tendencies which include lots of to do lists that list numerous things ive already done, just because i like crossing things off and feeling like im making progress. logic rarely comes into play with type Zs.

6. i will finally clear out my linen closet and along with it years of linen loving collecting. at this point, we could have 7 beds made, with everyone wetting the bed the same night and not one would be without a fresh, clean set of sheets. crazy. i could be considered a linen hoarder. i have crappy towels from a decade ago that ive been saving in case we give the dog a bath. except we havent had abe since may of 2007 and i would never wrap up one of my soft, sensitive skin kids in one of them, so they need to go. along with the shower curtain from our first house. i paid too much for it and have been hanging onto it out of guilt. of course i just spent $30 to mail something to hawaii...type Z. nuff said.

7. we will invest stock in julios seasoning & chips, blue bell ice cream and shiner bock beer. why? because everyone we know outside the state of texas would offer up their first born or at least a kidney to have all three in the same house at the same time. theyre just that good. except for that seasonal shiner that tasted like crap. that was a rare exception.

8. i plan on watching mizzou and texas a & m lose every single game this season. especially when mizzou plays criminal ku and a & m faces t.u. this is my new expectation and im not holding out for any pleasant surprises. no edge of your couch anticipation, no game day parties with neutral friends who watch us become heartbroken fans left with nothing more than stories of decades past where victory was really a possibility. nope. from now on, we are looking forward to another rebuilding year.

9. i will no longer allow myself to get sucked into the infamous military wife chatter of one upsies. so, we moved 5 times in 8 years with a lot of crazy highs and lows and last minute change of plans. there in lies the story of EVERY military family. youre not special. im not special. in fact, we have had it pretty easy considering what so many other families have endured. we are unbelievably blessed to have job security serving in the most noble of ways no less with the perks of seeing the world. does it suck somedays? of course. am i drinking the kool aid? not a chance. but, i am guilty of listening to the litany of military speak complaints and sharing my own hard to believe tales. im done with it and promise to do better. at least until better half deploys again...then ill need some accountability...angie, dont let me slip. :)

10. i will blog more. my disclaimer is they may stink. i may have nothing to say or share, but i certainly wont let my lack of worthy material keep me from putting it out there. i have to make a more consistent effort. heres to mediocrity and a happy 2010.



10 comments:

KCB said...

Love #'s 3 & 9; I need to adopt those! Three: I'm just a glutton for punishment. Nine: It's so easy to get sucked in but, you're right! There are so many others who have it worse and I need to look towards the positive.

Thanks for sharing!

katie said...

thats funny, karen...because when im feeling sorry for myself i think of YOU and how much harder you have it....i certainly dont think you feel sorry for yourself! i will totally come to your pity party if you ever have one...bearing wine no less.

MammaMia said...

You know what's terrible about linen addiction? Linen closets are always awful little tall and skinny closets stuck in as an afterthought that are only good for storing washcloths and pillowcases. Linen closets need to be 6' wide with 2 doors that swing open.

katie said...

amen mammamia...lets start a movement.

Suzy Z said...

BUSTED! HA HA. Unless you have another bff that lives in Hawai'i I'm gettin a birthday present, I'm gettin a birthday preset. YES! That working out must be doin your body good b/c I didn't know you were so flexible you could fit in a box AND I had no idea you've gotten so light it would only cost you 30 bucks to mail yourself to me! Love ya so much!

katie said...

okay, suz...youre right and if that gift isnt delivered on time...someones getting fired, so let me know. :) love you. and since when have you had time to read my ramblings anyway?? the odds.

TAVA... said...

Here's to you and here's to me,
and here's to our 'Z' Personalities.

Here's to lists made late,
no more 'one-up' military debates,
and to fewer tortilla chips on your plate.

Here's to stock in Julio's chips and Blue Bell ice cream to drip,
and losing that final 10 pounds on your hips.

Here's to only friends you adore,
less linen in your drawer,
and hoping that this year your teams finally score.

I wish you success,
I expect no less,
But I like the "more blogging" one
the best!

TAVA... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katie said...

tava, you pretty much rock like nobodys business. i look forward to ringing all 10 of these in with you in a couple super quick months. btw, while i will always comment on your outstanding blog, it will never be as clever....keep those expectations at an all time low for me, will ya?

TAVA... said...

Oh Katie...the day I'm more clever than you....