Saturday, February 20, 2010

the perks

when you are away and i am on my own, i tell myself there are some perks to my reclaimed, semi forced independence. there is a bed that i can sleep in the middle of, a laundry basket that takes longer to fill and quiet evenings of alone time to do whatever i choose to do.

and while the perks are easy to see coming and look forward to (as we both know what a bed and blanket hog i can be) they never fail to disappoint. the truth is that the perks are simply a figment of my imagination that allow me to be overly optimistic about time apart. unfortunately, the reality is that nearly 10 years into this union of we, i am no longer completely me separate from you.

this union and this life with you, this marriage and this love have taken up more of me than i knew it could. so much so that when i am alone, i am missing the best part of myself. the person i was before is now so intricately woven into this life we share, i no longer recognize her on her own. and i am forever grateful that in your presence, i am whole and in your absence, i am missing something. the something that helps me sleep soundly and easily, comforted most by simply knowing you are there. the something that fills my time with conversation or easy silence. the something that offers me profound encouragement and reassurance just by sharing the same space.

when you are gone, i am missing something. something precious, sacred and treasured. something loved and cherished and adored. i am missing the 'we' that He has created, the 'us' that we have evolved to and the family that we are. the something i am missing most in the hours of my days and minutes of my nights is you. more than anything. you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love everything you write, but this is by far the best! If all relationships were like this, we would have one happy world. I hope I can say this one day about my significant other.

TAVA... said...

I think that I've just fallen in love with Pat...anyone who completes you...completes me. I never did like the me without him very much anyway.

Sarah & Danial said...

tell Pat he's making me look bad ;)

Dan

Suzy Z said...

knowing the you before "we" I would have to agree that "he" does complete you and has made you a better person. That being said You are a phenomenal writer and are only getting better. This really is a masterpiece. Please keep me in mind as your personal asst. when you decide to get famous!