Tuesday, December 16, 2008

thank you...

i was talking to your sister the other day about a few things and it occurred to me that there may be something you need to know. something lost in the translation of our days as we swap stories and laughs and struggles. and while it may be hard to believe in light of my uncanny ability to over dramatize as easily as i can over simplify, there is something within me that i feel i may have forgotten to tell you. and i will try and articulate it in a way that adequately carries the weight of my words from my heart to yours. i will try and help you to see it, to feel it and most importantly to know it as well as you know the freckles on my hand or the way i take my coffee.

thank you. thank you for making it possible for me to be the one to care for our little ones. for affording me the luxury of time at home while they are home. it is such a short amount of time, these years before school and friends and activities pull them out the door and we are left wishing for more of them. of their time. of even meeting all of their needs. so in the midst of my days, as monotonous and sometimes challenging as they can be, thank you. they are my days, our days, these little people and i. and i am grateful. thankful from my tired eyes to my tired toes that you, in your wisdom, in your love and in your encouraging way not only make it possible for me to stay home, but support it with your words, with your actions, with your ways. so thank you.

and i understand this may be a newsflash to you, something i have been horribly negligent in conveying. and it may be hard to wrap your brain around, to truly believe (especially on those days when ive perfected the art of unloading the days worries on you) but believe me when i tell you that you have given me more than i could have ever hoped for. this life, this time, these days filled with runny noses and babies that need to be held, lunches that need to be made and naps that need to be taken. the hugs, kisses, snuggles and correction given out countless times everyday would not be traded for anything. nothing. there is nothing i would rather be doing than what you are enabling me to do everyday. so thank you.

when i am exhausted and complain my greatest accomplishment was brushing my teeth and finishing laundry, i am exaggerating. because our daughter has manners. and our baby is happy and i couldnt really ask to accomplish anything more. you dont really understand the sense of being overwhelmed by children, nor do you understand the unspeakable joy of actually completing a total to do list...with two happy children, but you pretend to. you celebrate all of our good days and empathize with the more challenging ones. you encourage me more than you know with your words of affirmation as i try to teach and reach the hearts of our precious children. this job, this gift of full time motherhood, this miracle really of raising children is the one thing i want to do right. the thing i want to excel at most. and you, wonderful you, make me feel like i can and like i am. and regardless of how you really feel, you have me convinced that the calling i feel on my life to stay at home with these children is a call worth answering. you make me feel more than willing. you make me feel capable. regardless of the day, i know i am serving and living with purpose. so thank you.

this life at home full of sticky fingers and wet kisses, messy floors and faces and countless splashes of joy is more than i could have hoped for or dreamt of when we began so many years ago. so thank you. thank you for making my dreams come true. i should have told you sooner.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

ok, kleenex please. you are so great. you need to write a book. what a wonderful thank you and those words are sure to be cherished. enjoy those babies. hold the little one tight for me. my heart longs to have just one more because mine seem to be getting bigger and bigger each day and i can't make it stop. post more pictures of the little guy and hang in there with the crazy days that seem to be a whirlwind of nothing getting done and feeling like you have worked all day. wish we lived closer so our munchkins could play. enjoy this christmas season with your wonderful family!

Anonymous said...

This made me cry. What a wake-up-call.

Anonymous said...

Right on! Laura G.

TAVA... said...

Ok-first, that made me tear up and second, it made me retract my newest blog "I should've married a dentist" so, I went back and read your thankful blog and it made me feel better. We are really, really lucky, huh.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone call Hallmark?!? Seriously KT, you have a gift! I love you so much, Becca

Anonymous said...

Katie,
It was wonderful to see you P, G, and J this Christmas season. I am so happy that we have so much in common and share these sentiments about staying home with our children. We are blessed to be married to our "dream-come-true makers." You have a gift of putting it all into writing. Your children will hold onto these tidbits of your thoughts for a long time. I hope you are saving your blogs in a book for them to cherish. with love, lisa

Anonymous said...

this one??
nik